Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Baby steps...

No, no, not those kind of baby steps... the figurative kind. The kind that say "you'll get there, one step at a time." And it looks like I am heading in that direction.. the direction of a goal that I have been working so hard towards... the goal of becoming a teacher.
On April 8th, I will begin teaching my own class! This opportunity is giving me the chance to teach a class of 8th graders about reaching their artistic expression and abilities... and hopefully gain the true classroom experience. I will still continue to work at my current job, but P/T, as this teaching gig is only a P/T job as well. And I will keep on track with school, working towards my Masters in Education. Basically, at the middle school I will be teaching the single elective Art class for about 30 8th graders. And since it's the only Art class, it is also only 1 class period a day (hence the need for supplemental income). However, I am choosing to view this from an opportunistic perspective. These are my baby steps. I am able to just dip my toes in the pool, not be forced to jump into the deep end before I am ready. And hopefully this will get me ready.
I am all too familiar with taking baby steps towards an objective... which is usually followed by a fall to my butt... let's hope (and then hope some more) this time things will keep moving upright and forward.
And I am sure there will be follow-up posts to this one in the coming weeks when I will be ready to pull out my hair.

1 comment:

Michele said...

How cool! You are going to be a great teacher!