Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy?" Ben Franklin

Let me start be saying that I love beer (get ready for my whining). But who knew, all this time, I have (along with the rest of the country) been complaining about how much prices at the pump have risen, feeling slightly guilty with my decision in purchasing a Jeep (which I LOVE!!). So now, the rise in oil not only increases the dent in my pocket, but ultimately affects my yummy, calming brewski? This is insanity! Ok, I get the alternative fuels pitch. But when farmers are planting more corn in order to meet the *demand* for ethanol, where does that leave barley and wheat? And forever, there was an oversupply of hops, but now it's gone... oops.
So not only do I feel the pressure from driving my gas-guzzler, but I can't even relax with a cold beer (and lately, I deserve such a leisure) without feeling guilty or worse... broke?
Broke at the pump... broke at the pub... what's next.

Guess I will have to start drinking wine (I hear silent cheers from my husband).




1 comment:

David said...

Ah, but good beer is something I will unfortunately pay quite a bit for, which is why my hand always falls on that pack of $9.99 Stone IPA instead of the $7.49 six of Sierra Nevada. Of course, if I were in your neck of the woods, I could probably pick up the SN for even cheaper, and that might sway my mind the other way.